September 3, 2011

Washington, D.C.

I helped Lauren move into her new apartment in DC, then spent a few days hanging out with her before flying out to Korea. 


Moments after the earthquake. Lauren and I were walking to the art gallery; we thought it was the subway or a shaky traffic light. It wasn't until we noticed every building was being emptied and the national treasure police went flying by that we realized what was happening. The biggest disappointment was that everything closed for the day - they were checking foundation and structural issues. There was some damage to a few places - Washington Monument, National Cathedral, Smithsonian - but nothing devastating. 

 




Lauren and I are really great at moving and assembling furniture. 



 We went kayaking on the Potomac River. 






We visited the Arlington Cemetery on a rainy afternoon. 






And just like that, my time in America was over. I saw a lot of wonderful people, visited some amazing places, made some good memories, and appreciated all of the time I had there. It is always sad to leave people you love, and this was no exception. Another year away has begun. Now, I'm settling into my life here in Korea again- appreciating the familiar and trying to adjust to the changes.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you came home between contracts, it was refreshing to see you in person. I miss you so much when you are gone, but your blog and skype help make it bearable.

    Enjoy this adventure. Take photos. I wish I could be with you!! love you more than you can imagine.
    mom

    ReplyDelete