October 6, 2013

Welcome to Hsinchu


The view from my bedroom window, 6 am with a typhoon possibly on its way. To be fair, this could be anywhere. Really, it isn't even that aesthetically different from Daegu. Even on my third day in the country, however, I know my life here will be much different than it was in Korea. 

I feel humbled and embarrassed to realize that I've forgotten so much of the history and language lessons I spent so much time memorizing in university. I need to study up on the culture and language, to meet new people and make friends, to learn my way around this new city.. all of the little details that are taken for granted in a grounded life. But these challenges and struggles are what I love about life abroad. I am more aware of my surroundings and am much more in tune and present in the moment. It is my "this is water" moment, only it lasts for months. And really, that is why I am here. 

1 comment: